Sunday, August 24, 2008

Salsa, Anyone?

I love, love, love fresh tomatoes from the garden. My mom used to take out the salt shaker to the garden and eat tomatoes right there. I'll admit I do it too but usually I'm eating them over the kitchen sink or in the back yard (with the salt shaker). We don't have the right kind of yard for a garden -- we have too much shade. Aaron's parents always grow tomatoes and our {slave} neighbor Neil does too. They are both so generous to give me lots! I always wanted to make salsa but thought it involved a lot of work including canning and I'm sure it can be complicated but I made salsa for the first time today and I think it turned out really good and it was easy.
I got my recipe from All Recipes which I turn to a lot when I'm not sure how to make something or am just looking for something new. I look for recipes with 4 or 5 stars usually.

******Imagine a really cool photo of my bright red salsa here, but I can't figure out how to get any photos off my new camera -- since it's midnight that's not helping either!******
Here's how I made mine in case you are drowning in tomatoes.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 Serrano chili, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced

In medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, chili peppers, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice, and salt. Chill for one hour before serving.

It's nothing like the jar versions at all which I don't think I will ever be able to eat again. The recipe called for 5 of those Serrano chili peppers but I only used one. It's not hot at all and I used the seeds and everything. I think it could use more but probably not 5! Let me know if you make it! And I did give the slave neighbor some since he donated the tomatoes and he is roofing our house that should make it even, right?

No comments: