Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Packing on the Pounds . . . well ounces


Reese had her first doctor's appointment. I was kind of worried that maybe she wasn't gaining weight . . . think it's part of the preemie mentality I have (it took Ethan almost 3 years to gain 22 pounds) and the fact that although I like the breastfeeding she has been a booger to try to get her to latch on sometimes it can take 10 minutes per side but once she's on, she eats well. Last night she had me in tears cause I couldn't get her to eat, once Aaron helped me calm down it worked out okay but the fact I was really tired and it was 12:30 probably had a lot to do with it too.

At discharge time last Friday at the hospital she weighed 5.7; today she weighed a whopping 6.4 pounds. Now I think that's a little off because I can't believe she gained 13 ounces in 4 days. Probably the difference in scales but I think she has gained weight. So I can put my "preemie mind" at ease. The doctor was really pleased. She said babies don't normally get back to their birth weight until they are 2 weeks old. She said I must have "super milk" -- at least something about my body right now is "super". She goes back next week to check again.

No comments: