Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer 2010

I can't believe it's July already.  The summer is flying by as usual maybe a little quicker for me than normal.  We've spent so much time working on my Dad's farm.  There's so much to do  and I'd rather be doing it now than in the cold.  My friend, Trudy, wrote me an email the other day that reminded me that it was summer and time to have fun with our family and friends.  It really made me think .... I didn't want this summer to become the summer we only worked on Grandpa's Farm.  We need to make time for the fun stuff too.  So I made a chart of fun things for us to do this summer.  I thought up most of them but the kids gave me some input too.  
  It's hard to find time to do a lot of these things but I want to try to do as many with them as I can.  It's hard some weeks we are at Dad's farm more days than we are home.  So when we are home I have to play catch on all the regular stuff of laundry, cleaning, bill paying, grocery shopping, etc.  These things are not high on 5 and 2 year olds priority lists.  Their first question every morning to me is "What are we going to do today?" then during the day, "What are we doing next?" and at night, "What are we going to do tomorrow?"  EX.HAUST.ING!

We've done a few things already
.
  Grammy took us to see Toy Story 3 on Monday.  It was really good and all the kids sat through the whole movie with no problem (even Reesey). 

A couple weeks ago we went to swim at the little pool in Lincoln Park.  It was fun.  We may go back and do that again before the end of summer.
Here's our first Muffin Tin Monday ... although it wasn't a Monday and today we did it on Tuesday.  They love eating lunch this way.  I bought cocktail forks and let them stab their own food.  It's super easy clean up since there's no dishes and today they ate everything except one measly little baby carrot.  They also think it's fun when I let them use the teapot to pour their lemonade.

So our summer is shaping up ... lots of farm work is getting done and we're still making time for the fun stuff too. Although I'm not sure how I will fulfill Reese's request of "Go see the dolphins" but I'll figure that out. Hope you are taking time to stop and smell the flowers this summer (although these are Trudy's flowers ... no time to plant any flowers here this summer .... it wasn't on the list!).

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Penny Smith said...

Brookfield Zoo in Chicago have dolphins! :)
They had (and might still) a stay and play deal with area hotels, you book the hotel and the Brookfield ticters are part of the deal! We are going to go see the dolphins I use to work with in September! First "real" family vacation (TEN DAYS!) in NINE YEARS!! YAY!